Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Devotion 10, Wednesday, December 8

My favorite song at Christmas, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, captures the majesty of Jesus’ birth and how my heart feels during Christmas. Joyous.

There is one particular passage that I love:

Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that we no more may die
Born to raise us from the earth
Born to give us second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing
“Glory to the newborn King!”

In a season where so many people are distracted by the hoopla of Christmas (I include myself in this group), this hymn helps me remember the ultimate present. All else pales in comparison to the all encompassing, awe inspiring gift that God gave us. It humbles me to think of the multitudes that Jesus helps and that he only asks that we follow him.

I know that many view New Year’s Eve as an opportunity for a fresh start. I view Christmas as my spiritual new year. “Born to give them second birth” speaks to how I feel. It is the beginning. It is an opportunity to take my belief in God and turn it into a series of actions. To think of new ways to love God.

When Jesus was born, there was not a symphony behind the manger playing brass instruments. But if there had been, I picture them playing Hark! The Herald Angels Sing to celebrate Jesus’ birth. My favorite way to hear it? With brass instruments playing so joyously that I expect the doors of the church to be blown open by the music and the Holy Spirit!

O God of beginnings, as we begin our spiritual New Year, help us respond to your call to follow. Amen.

Holly MacMillan

No comments:

Post a Comment