Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advent Devotion 17, Wednesday, December 15

Away in a Manger (stanza 1)

Away in a manger, no crib for His bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.
The stars in the sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.

To comfort my boys, I sing. I start with a favorite hymn (Amazing Grace for Micah and Though I May Speak for Eli) and sing all the stanzas. Then I sing a medley of Christmas carols . . . well, the first verses anyway. The First Noel, Away in a Manager, O Little Town of Bethlehem, What Child Is This, Silent Night. Sometimes I add a few others, like Joy to the World. Year round, I sing these songs. The melodies are like that of lullabies, soothing and calm, yet bright and lilting. As I sing and rock, we calm down and rest.

It is not just the melodies that bring me back to these carols throughout the year (and the fact that I can remember all the words), but the message they convey is timeless. The hope and joy of the Incarnation expressed in these carols is not just for Christmastime. This message should be celebrated all year long. God became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14). Emmanuel . . . God with us!

For me, the crux of Christianity is the Incarnation. God loves us so much that God became one of us in Jesus, born of Mary . . . in a stable . . . far from home. Jesus experienced joy and pain, love and sorrow. He knew plenty and want. He grew, played, learned. He knew what if felt like to be adored and exalted, hated and reviled. And it all started away in a manager in the little town of Bethlehem on a silent night that brought joy to the world.

And so, I sing these carols . . . not as frequently as a did when my boys were infants . . . but they are in my repertoire of soothing, hope, and joy filled songs that I sing throughout the year.

Sara Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment