Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent Devotion 9 - Tuesday, December 7

Haul Out the Holly
Haul out the holly;
Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.
Fill up the stocking,
I may be rushing things but deck the halls again now.

For we need a little Christmas right this very minute.
Candles in the window, carols at the spinet.
Yes, we need a little Christmas right this very minute.
We need a little Christmas now!
Lyrics by Jerry Herman

I sing this song year round. It gives me cheer, comfort and companionship -- especially when I am in a difficult circumstance or just feeling blue.

The word “Christmas” originated as a compound, meaning “Christ’s Mass” or the “Mass of Christ.” Thus, it is concerned with Jesus’ death rather than His birth. Please, however, don’t suddenly be worried bout wishing people “Merry Death of Christ” because, of course, we don’t mean it in this sense. Rather, I think of the word “Christmas” to be the fullness of Christ, the spirit, the love. I don’t know about y’all, but I need this year round. I need it every day!

Dear Lord, please keep us mindful of your presence in our lives. You are with us always to offer cheer, comfort, companionship and more as many times as we ask. Thank you for providing yourself in this very personal way for we do need you, every day.

Pamela Prokasy

No comments:

Post a Comment