Thursday, December 23, 2010

Advent Devotion 25, Thursday, December 23

Silent Night (stanza 2)

Silent night, holy night! Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar, Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Savior is born, Christ, the Savior is born

One of my favorite songs at Christmas is Silent Night. I remember singing this while walking out of the sanctuary with my burning candle. It is my favorite part of the whole Christmas Eve service. Singing such a great, meaningful song while walking out of the church on Christmas Eve is amazing.

The older I’ve grown, the more I understand the song. It is wonderful to think that the exact night a long time before, Jesus was born. When it says “Glories stream from heaven afar” it means that the night of Jesus’s birth was a happy night everywhere. It still is a very happy night all around.

I love hearing the many Bible versus explaining the excitement throughout Bethlehem on that night. The most memorable to me is a verse in Luke that says “I bring you the most joyful news ever announced, and it is for everyone! The Savior has been born tonight in Bethlehem!” The night Jesus was born truly was one of the most elated times in the gospels.

Dear Lord, we thank you for giving us your always forgiving and loving Son. We thank you for giving us this special time where we can be with our families and a time for us to remember that 2000 years ago you came to us through Jesus Christ. Help us to be better people and lead the lives that you want us to live. Amen.

Richard Sims Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment